Friday, September 16, 2011

Project time: Bike Basket Liners

When Erin and I were visiting our friends Erin and Will in Newport, we noticed quite a few really sweet basket liners in the beach cruisers that are rampant in that area. I, myself, am a proud owner of a light pink beach cruiser, and love to ride it whenever I have the chance!

What I've always done in the past, is put a towel at the bottom of the basket, in case anything fell out, or if I only wanted to bring a few things with me, instead of my huge purse. Well, you can understand why these basket liners were heavensent to me!

I mentioned it to my friend Erin, and she said I could get them online. Well...I'm a cheap-o, and figured I could make one myself.

Fast forward about a month when we were settled back home, and I couldn't wait to do a project. With 11 months of solid wedding planning and projects, I was having withdrawal. Husband reminded me that I wanted to make a basket liner! So brilliant! I just couldn't justify spending $40 on a store-bought liner.

I googled how to make one, and found this Gem. Perfect! I got to work with some fabric that I had lying around, so I wouldn't waste time/money on fabric that I loved.

I'm bad and didn't take pictures of my process, but here is one of my final result!
So, obviously not the most beautiful example of a basket liner. But again, it was my first time, and it's scrap fabric :)

So I posted a photo of this on my Facebook, and my darling sister said she wanted one! Well, perfect timing, Brooke Lee...because her birthday was coming up very quickly! I was determined to do a better job this time!

Well, practice makes (almost) perfect, because I think this one turned out great!

It's a liiiiitle big, because I was doing this one with measurements that sis sent me, but I think it turned out great with the long-distance factor.

I'm hooked. I think I'll make a new one for my basket before it gets too yucky out. 
It's already pretty gloomy out here, but as long as it's not raining, I'll be on my bike the next few weekends!

Xo,
Kelsey


No comments :

Post a Comment