Saturday, June 16, 2012

Au Natural

...not like that! Get your mind out of the gutters! :)

Lately I've been contemplating using natural ways of cleaning the house. We started using a Shark steam mop instead of Swiffer products last fall, and I have to say that it's been so refreshing not to have to lock the cat away just to clean the floors. I shouldn't have to worry about poisoning my animal just by cleaning the floor!

So the next step for us was to start using a natural all-purpose cleaner. We have been using the Clorox 'Green Works' for some time, but it didn't really do a great job of cleaning up tough messes (grease, etc.).
I found some information about natural cleaners on one of my favorite blogs, Young House Love . I love the idea of using vinegar instead of a chemical-ridden cleaner. Not only is vinegar super cheap, but it's an odor neutralizer too. I was skeptical about it's cleaning powers, but I decided to give it a shot.

I dumped out the little bit of Green Works that I had left, and mixed the following vinegar cleaner:
- 1 part vinegar
- 5 parts water
- 10 drops lavender essential oil


I got to work, and to my pleasant surprise this stuff is a miracle! There is a stain that was on our kitchen counter from the previous tenants. I have tried everything (basic cleaner, bleach, baking soda and water) and nothing would remove the stain. Vinegar mixture - no problem...it was up after 10 seconds of letting the mixture sit on the stain. So after this affirmation, I cleaned the whole kitchen with this stuff. Greasy stove, dirty white cabinets, dusty/greasy top of refrigerator...ALL CLEAN! Not only was everything clean, but they were odor free and my kitchen now has a lavender scent.

The ONLY downside of using vinegar so far is that it doesn't dry as fast as a chemical cleaner does. But, it dries streak free, so I'm not too worried about it.

Needless to say I am very happy with vinegar as a natural cleaning agent. My next step is trying out an all natural soap like Mrs. Meyers Lavender soap. I've heard it's a miracle worker as well.

XO,

Kelsey

No comments :

Post a Comment