Wednesday, January 25, 2012

STOP. It's dresser time.

...suddenly wanting some MC Hammer pants. Anyone?

I currently type this from our new apartment! Erin and I moved last weekend to our new place, and we're so happy we did it. It was the most back-breaking thing I think I've done in a long time. The new place has 200 extra square feet, is pretty new and is just overall a lot nicer. We're so happy! I'll either post a video or photos of the new place once we get more settled.

Anywho, in the middle of moving, my dresser took a dive off of the bed of the truck. In all honesty, it should have been strapped down... (ahem...**ERIN!**) but it's an older IKEA dresser that I've had since I think I was 15. So it had lived a nice long life.

Not wanting to buy a fancy new dresser at the moment, I took my booty down to Goodwill. Luckily, I found a gem that day. Our local Goodwill gets brand new, still in the box, items from Target all of the time. So, as I'm sure you guessed, I came across a brand new dresser still in it's box! It was marked at $60, but since I couldn't see if it was damaged, I talked them down to $50.

Fast forward a few frustrating hours and a very sore back later, it was set up! I forgot how much work those DIY furniture kits can be. Without further ado...
...In all of her glory! I couldn't help but feel like it looked...bare. So back to Goodwill I headed, to see if I could find some knobs that would work. 
I found this bag of brass knobs that were rough, but I knew I could jazz them up to look nice with the dresser.
So the next day I had Erin go to the hardware store (his favorite place!) to pick up some Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint/primer. This stuff is all over Pinterest, with some great brass pick-me-ups. It's a great way to quickly give old, tired brass a facelift.
And three layers of paint later, here were my pretty new knobs!
It's a little hard to see, but I had a hard time getting paint into the creases of the knobs. I put them onto a pantry shelf with slats that separated out the knobs, but it blocked the center crease. Fortunately it's not too obvious in person. 

Next I drew with a white Sharpie paint marker, where I wanted the knobs to go. On this dresser I just measured 6" in on each side. I had Erin drill holes, and then I screwed the knobs on. 

And finally, I was DONE!


...please don't judge my mis-matchy frames. That's my next project!

Feeling pretty good about my thrifty new dresser.

Thanks for reading :) 

Xo,

Kelsey





2 comments :

  1. Super cute and crafty! I love it! I love even more that one of your "mis-matchy" frames has a picture of us in it!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah thanks love!
    Of course I have a picture of us BFF! I'm on the hunt for 5 vintage-y frames for my dresser, so it matches the big one my mom gave us for Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete